View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
cruzmisl
Base Member

Drives: 08 G37S 6MT
cruzmisl will become famous soon enough

My G37 was my first standard tranny. I thought SRM would have been awesome (I still think it's totally neat), but as I learned to drive, I realized it's not something I would even use a whole lot as a guy that mainly drives to work or the gym.

The hardest part of learning our 6MT tractor clutch is mastering the engage point and being gentle with it. This means starting from a stop involves a bit of a learning curve to master before you're not unnecessarily burning the clutch anymore. I'm still feathering a bit too much from a stop, but it's getting better.

Once you're actually moving, shifting is pretty much a breeze. It's a lot of fun, but our cars aren't the easiest to learn on. I'm not sure if any one would be happy jumping into these cars as their first manual, or if they're crazy like me and bought one without even test driving it (I couldn't drive the thing). I had brief moments of regret when I killed the thing repeatedly and shaved a year of life off my clutch, but once you get the hang of it you'll see why these kind of cars come with 6MT as an option.

It's just a lot of fun.
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote