View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #180 (permalink)
TipsZ
Track Member

Drives: 09 Nissan 370z CS M6
TipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond reputeTipsZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy830 View Post
I would not call them precise fittings, knicks or any imperfections can affect the seal, mostly under high pressure conditions, for which you would use stainless fittings. Aluminium is not considered high pressure and there for should be inspected for knicks or any imperfections(we drop things and aluminum is soft)..... The leaking or weeping at the hose and braid says to me that the hose is not properly installed on the fitting (cut straight) piece of braid has overlapped the hose end or has a bend to close to the fitting that it has distorted the shape of the hose on the fitting and for me I think that that the latter is the main problem with hoses popping off. Aluminum fittings can be over torqued and strip the threads unlike stainless. Snug up the fitting and take 1/4 final turn....Check your routing and clamping make sure that the bends are not severe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
AN fittings do not take a lot of torque to seal completely The design of the fitting cone is precise and should never leak. I'm a bit suspect of the GTM lines. though. One (Tardcore) has bown apart already. They should not leak at the braid. This may indicate they were not assembled correctly. You can take them apart and check but it's awkward to do on the car. Stainless lines have a very high pressure rating normally but if not fully seated in the sockets this could be reduced significantly and potentially leak..
Thank you both for your experience with this type of issue. I plan to get some pictures up in the next few days to show you guys what I am talking about. I too am worried as I purchased the GTM kit from Tardcore. However, the vendor replaced the suspect hose (with a much too long one at that). I need to confirm with Tardcore that he did not alter the lines, and that they were directly from the vendor .. that may give me a bit more piece of mind.
Dynojet 285 HP/245 TQ (pre CBE)// Agency Power CBE // GTM Test Pipes // JWT Pop Chargers // B&M Short Shifter // Eibach Springs // Powder-coated Akebono's // Powder-coated Strut Bar // Black Chromed 19" Rays // // Redline Designs Graphics
TipsZ journal
TipsZ is offline   Reply With Quote