View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Matt
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 Avalanche LT
Matt is just really niceMatt is just really niceMatt is just really niceMatt is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggeron View Post
Brakes are for braking. I never shift into neutral though -- I like to be either braking or under power at all times. I definitely don't row throught the gears when I stop. Typically how often I downshift depends on the gear I started with and the length of the deceleration. In low speed stops -- say from stop light to stop light @ 35 mph -- I'll downshift once from 4th into 2nd once the rpms drop enough that accelerating from 4th would cause the engine to lug out. In long high speed slow downs like from 65-70 off a highway off ramp I might shift down twice ... once to 4th to achieve the correct access road or off ramp speed and then once again once the rpms have dropped sufficiently. There's not much engine braking going on since the RPMs are appropriate to the speed.
Exactly. I pick the appropriate gear to downshift to, and then use a mix of brake/downshift to come to the stop. I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard of someone "rowing through all the gears" when downshifting.

3rd gear is my usual downshift-to-stop gear.

"Any man who can drive a 370z while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the Z the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein....modified.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote