Thread: Eletric cars
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
theDreamer
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z
theDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond reputetheDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eletric cars

SoCal posted about a new ad for the new Fisher electric car, and I was going to reply in his thread but I figured it needed its own discussion.

Electric cars:
My only thing with these car so far is the average distance of travel on a single charge. Yes I will plug this car in every night, probably, but what about traffic and how that affects it? What about spur of the moment trips that I need to go on, will I have to wait an hour to charge a bit then go?

Instead of oil companies and gas, we not rely on electric companies who still use coal. Though I am a big supporter of nuclear power, is the electrical companies ready for all these cars yet?

What new rating systems do we need to go by for travel distance? Full charge (highway), full charge in traffic, what about natural loss? Most current technology in batteries have a battery life, and as that life lives on it loses its full charge potential So what you once had at 100%, you now top out at 85% after X time. This X time usually refers to the number of charges in the system, think of laptop batteries.

Years later - what do we do with these batteries? Is the production of these batteries in the long term more harmful than gas currently or in the future? How much power does it take to build these new batteries which are "better."

Just something I wanted to talk about.
theDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote