Thread: A to B
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Buddy Revell
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 08 Infiniti G37
Buddy Revell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC Racing View Post
I'll be the bad guy and say can't agree. 2nd to 3rd hand knowledge reviews don't bring much insight.

If we look at the 350z, there are some obvious points:

1. Stillen kit was a complete failure in price and performance. It's small niche was CARB certification, but Vortech had that too. If we had a way of collecting numbers I bet the Stillen kit was removed in the highest % to be replaced with another kit (turbo or supercharger)
2. GTM's/HKS kit was a commercial failure (based on how many kits sold). Good performance numbers, but initially a very high price and the biggest claim to fame over the Vortech kit was it was quiet. Can't argue there - owned the Vortech and the low RPM rattle was annoying.
3. Vortech by far is the most used supercharger on the 350z. There was a bad batch of them a few year back. Vortech brought the most completely kit at that price level. No oil feed into the newer V3's are a nice improvement. I haven't heard a V3 yet to know if it is quieter.
Hmmm...if you don't agree that fstrnldr shared some good information on Rotrex and Vortech blowers (he wasn't talking about complete kits, just the actual SC units), please explain which of his points are incorrect.

1. What does Stillen's roots-based 350Z kit have to do with fstrnldr's thoughts on the Rotrex or Vortech units? He wasn't talking about the old Eaton blower at all nor was he talking about any company's complete SC kit.

2. What does HKS's commercial success on it's 350Z SC kit have to do with the fact that the Rotrex unit is pretty quiet and has been used in various SC systems like the Honda kits by kraftwerks/Oscar Jackson? I don't think he was implying that Rotrex's unit was used in more applications than Vortech's or anything like that.

3. Was he incorrect about any of the facts concerning Vortech (solid peak power potential, improved design due to no longer using the engine's oil, the bearing issue that happened with some of their older units, etc.)? Was he incorrect in any of his points about the Rotrex (newer company with not as much info about it, quiet design, good midrange power for a centrifugal unit, etc.)? Those were accurate points, as far as i know.

Last edited by Buddy Revell; 03-05-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Buddy Revell is offline   Reply With Quote