View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #65 (permalink)
kannibul
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z Touring/Sport
kannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond reputekannibul has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by labk888 View Post
So you've had your Z for a while....

Does anyone regret their transmission decision after having had their 370z for a while? Basically, what I am asking is does anyone regret getting an Automatic transmission over the Manual Transmission? Or Vice Versa? If so, why?

I've been wanting a Z for a long time now and I finally may have the opportunity to get one. Unfortunately, I don't have time on my side and if I am going to get one, I'll have to get my Z by March 30th. I am currently unable to find a car in the area with all of the options/color/specs I want which means I may have to compromise on something.
I do wish I'd gotten the manual, but, at the same time, I'm quite happy with the automatic.

Primarily because the way I drive a manual - I use neutral a lot. I also skip gears when appropriate and shift smoother than an automatic because I know what I'm doing more than the car can anticipate what I'm doing...for example I love to drop the hammer and accellerate quickly, but then let off and roll in neutral. Same with stop signs. I'll drop in neutral and brake. Sometimes I'll engine brake...but not always.

Can't do that with the auto, unless in D mode. If you use the paddles or auto-stick to get in a gear where you want to be, you're committed to that gear.

With a manual, say you want to pass someone, you can downshift it and ride the clutch a bit until you're ready to jump out and go. With the auto, you blip it a gear or two down, and you're engine is already racing and is committed to whatever RPM you're sitting at.

In those situations, a stick would be better.

What I don't miss about the stick is jerking. For example, I like to take it very nice and easy in my driveway so I don't scrape. I leave it in D and the car is very calm and responsive. With a stick, I'd be in 1st or 2nd and ride feathering the clutch.

The other thing is that I don't like the idea of having a clutch to burn out. With the auto, I will never burn up a clutch. I was driving around the other day and managed to light the car up in 1st through 2nd with the auto-stick before it grabbed in 3rd. I know this because it was fish-tailing in the rear

This car is simply amazing...auto or stick. I probably would enjoy the stick more, but, at the same time, the auto in some ways keeps me from being stupid with it. Stick + high performance + inexperience w/ high performance dynamics = probably totalled by now, even though I've driven a stick most my life...

Anyhow...
kannibul is offline   Reply With Quote