View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
kdoske
Track Member

Drives: 800whp Unicorn FI Z
kdoske is on a distinguished road

I'm on the other side of the fence and actually feel like this is the first time I have heard of an actual use for the Ipad. I was conteplating getting a NAV unit for my car but I don't want to replace the stock stereo. I'm not a audiophile and I really can never tell the difference between an OEM premium stereo and an actual high grade aftermarket option--besides deep bass that is. I think this is a great option for the car especially if you get the Ipad with 3G. I think the biggest hurdle would be making the Ipad looking like it was part of the original interior while at the same time making it so it can be taking in and out easily for the passenger and to plug into your home pc when need be.

Forget the double DIN, this would not be replacing the stereo anyway. the 370z is perfect for this mod because the Ipad can go where the factory NAV is supposed to go. Someone would just need to fabricate a recessed plate for it in fiber or something similar.

A company already has an ap to integrate the Iphone into a cars ECU. Its my understanding that all aps for the Iphone will work on the Ipad.

DevToaster - Rev - iPhone app development, Great iPhone apps, and more

Website Excerpt:
Rev gives you access to lots of vehicle metrics, communicating via an OBD-II device to extract highly accurate, real-time data directly from your vehicle's ECU. Those metrics include:

* Vehicle Speed
* RPM
* Fuel Consumption*
* Engine Coolant Temp
* Fuel Pressure
* Calculated Engine Load
* Throttle Position
* Intake Manifold Pressure
* Air Intake Temp
* Timing Advance
* Mass Air Flow
* Fuel Level
* Barometric Pressure
* EVAP System Vapor Pressure
* Fuel Trim
* Boost**

* The Fuel Consumption calculation may be inaccurate on some diesel vehicles.
** The Boost calculation may be inaccurate on piggyback turbo systems.

Last edited by kdoske; 03-02-2010 at 01:51 PM.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote