View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #62 (permalink)
Z_U_later
Base Member

Drives: 10 370z Roadster AT7
Z_U_later will become famous soon enoughZ_U_later will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Well, if you're confident in your masculinity, there's nothing like a roadster. Notice I said "roadster," not "convertible". A roadster is a 2-seat, open car that traditionally is ready to take racing with only a minor tweak or two, by virtue of its suspension, balance, braking, power, gearing and weight. In other words, the fact that the roof comes down is just one distinguishing characteristic and is really its only connection with the convertibles of the world. G37s blur this a bit, as they are sporting convertibles, but are tweaked down considerably in many of the above areas, in favor of comfort, quiet and smoothness. Despite their shared bones, the two cars are very different.

I've owned both types of cars and can agree, somewhat, that a convertible is a woman's car. Roadsters, however, have a great tradition across many of the most storied car lines in history as serious sports cars. The 370Z certainly falls into that category. I haven't driven a G37 convertible, but can assume from much investigation of the car that it is a "convertible".

I'll tell you this, my 370ZR is no prom queen ride. With the 6MT shifter that sits right on top of the transmission, seemingly without any dampers or insulation, you are completely connected to the power you are putting down. The vibration and cacophony of screaming engine and growling exhaust inspires people who like sports cars and scares the crap out of people who cruise boulevards in convertibles. The barking from the Sync Rev is equally polarizing.

The wide fender flairs on the Z and the over-the-top Rays wheels also scream that this is a serious sports car. The Z is more cockpit-like. The suspension is tighter. The emphasis is on carving, not cruising. The trunk is also more usable in a Z. And surprise -- I actually prefer the cloth top and its "speedster" profile.

You should drive both and decide what you really want. The ZR is no bargain G37 vert. By the same token, the G37 vert is not a refined, softer ZR. I really do see them as very different cars that share the same lineage. I looked into a G37 before the Z was available and decided it wasn't for me.

I'm glad I waited. The Z is the perfect roadster and I love it more every time I drive it.
This was a very eloquent and well thought out response. I completely agree with your thoughts about the diferences between a roadster and a vert.. When I was doing my research I looked into the IS350c BMW 335, and G37 verts and found that the 370 roadster was the best bang for the buck, had the most trunk space with top down, and more horses under the hood than the IS and the 335. Another plus was the top, for me it looks great with the top up, the thing looks fast standing still but the other with their metal roofs which added more weight and just didn't look quite right especially the G37 but that just my opinion. What really put it over the top for me was when i drove it. You can feel the almost perfect weight distribution and how stiff the body is in corners. Nissan really did it right with this car, I'm not saying that there is not room for improvements but I lover my 370z roadster as it. I can honestly say this is the first car I have owned where I get in and drive not because I have somewhere to go but just to drive.
Z_U_later is offline   Reply With Quote