View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
epod86
Base Member

Drives: 06 Mustang GT BK M5
epod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond reputeepod86 has a reputation beyond repute

In reverse, applying the brakes is probably not a good idea. For the amount of time you spend in reverse, just easy the clutch out until it grabs enough to get you going, then put the clutch back in, repeat as necessary. This isn't going to do much wear and tear on the clutch. "Burning" the clutch with high rpm-and-hold starts does a lot more damage. Also, if you're at a stop light always go to neutral and clutch out. If you keep the clutch in it will shorten the life of the bearings.

With modern fly-by-wire throttle/accelerator pedals, there is a lot of skill and finesse in getting a car into first and off the line smoothly. In the pony, I can't wait for the clutch to grab before applying the gas because it bogs to quickly, so i tend to rev as I clutch out. If I need a quick start, i tend to let the revs hit 1500 before the clutch starts grabbing. I've gotten better about this and i think I'm normally do it at about 1100 now.

Hill starts are always going require more wear and tear on the clutch. But the other option is rolling into whoever is behind you. I'd make sure you're very comfortable with the multitasking required of manual shifting. I tried my first hill start when i was still uncomfortable shifting during turns and it wasn't pretty. I had a incline (about 6 inches rise over the length of the car)coming out of my families house that i didin't really need a hill start for, but it was good practice to use the e-brake on that incline. It was enough for the car to roll, but not very quickly.
epod86 is offline   Reply With Quote