View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pharmacist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z Sport 6MT
Pharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
I'm sure it's like what happens when they repave or seal the asphalt in your neighborhood... if you want to be able to get out and drive somewhere you need to park your car on the street somewhere that isn't being repaved/sealed.

It's only just one stage, though, so it's probably only shut down for part of the day, so it probably isn't too much of an inconvenience. And you are right about the revenues.

My main gripe is I think it's foolish to run a rally stage through a residential neighborhood like that... Too unsafe for the spectators (willing and unwilling alike), IMO. I'm pretty sure it's going to be one of those things where they keep on doing it until something bad happens (like an out of control car kills a kid or something).

As much as I love auto racing, I really wouldn't want some rally cars to come flying down my cul de sac.
Yeah, it's only shut down for 2 hours. Still, for a 70 yr old man in one of those homes suffering a heart attack, those 2 hours are an eternity. When the repave roads or whatever, they only shut down small sections at a time. And usually there is a way for traffic to go around it. In this case it seems entire neighbourhoods are shut down. How would an ambulance be able to get to that dying old man? Those shut down residential streets are the only way to access those homes, so will they redflag the race to let the paramedics through or what?

I researched, and yes, apparently a couple of incidents happened in the past. In one case a rally car hit a car that was illegally parked in the street inside the taped area. In another a rally car lost control and crashed into the front porch of one of the homes. No one was hurt in either case. But it does seem like only a matter of time before one of the race cars loses control and flies straight through someone's front lawn and run over a bunch of 5 yr old kids playing ball or something. I wonder why they don't just hold the rally in rural and country roads where they will be far away from citizens.
Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote