View Single Post
Old 05-03-2024, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
floydfan
Base Member

Drives: Nissan 370Z
floydfan is on a distinguished road
Default Lost engine coolant

I was driving to my DZA club meeting on the Loop 202 freeway. Cruising about 65-70 when all of a sudden, my check engine light came on and my automatic tranny started downshifting by itself and I had no throttle response. I pulled over to the side and shut it down. Sat for a moment, and decided I would try to get off the freeway. Started the engine, and all seemed good, so I took off for the next exit. Then I noticed the temperature gauge was higher than normal and climbing. Then I lost power again and I decided I better shut it off as the temperature gauge was still climbing. After i stopped on the side of the freeway, I noticed steam coming out from the back of the hood. I called AAA to get a tow. They asked if I was in a safe spot and I told them I was on the side of the freeway next to a travel lane. I was westbound almost under the Center Street overpass. They said they would set up a tow as a priority. I waited 50 minutes and called AAA again to see where is the tow truck. While I was on the phone with AAA, I saw I had a text coming through. It was the tow company, and they had been dispatched to 202 and Southern Avenue, which is about 5 miles from where I was. They said they would send the tow driver but he was about 15-20 mintes away. After I had been on the side of the freeway for 1 hour and 20 minutes, my priority tow showed up.

There is a plastic coupler that joins two heater hoses, and it had broken and I lost the engine coolant. To replace the plastic coupler and all three heater hoses the intake plenum had to be removed. Almost $500.00 labor and the entire repair was $818.19. My 370Z is a 2013 model with 74,651 miles. The plastic coupler is a common failure of the VQ engine.
I also complained to AAA about the mixup, and they have given me a $99.99 credit on my next renewal.

Last edited by floydfan; 05-03-2024 at 12:32 PM.
floydfan is offline   Reply With Quote