View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
NissanParty
Base Member

Drives: 370z Nismo
NissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond reputeNissanParty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
All of this. ^^

A differential brace is a bit of a hack created as the lazy mans way to mitigate differential movement. Will it massively reduce movement in the rear differential? You bet. But like mentioned in the quote above, you are now focusing nearly all the stresses to a single mount at one corner of the differential. If you truly wanted a solid mounted differential, the proper way to do it would be to replace all 3 of the original mounts with solid bushings. This would keep the stresses spread out rather than focused at one bracket at one corner of the differential.
Thanks both of you, I will take your advice!

I don't have a garage otherwise I would not hesitate to replace the bushing myself. But right now, the best I have is a parking lot with no access to 120v power. I was thinking of buying a cordless sawzall and cutting the old bushing out, that seems easier than using the bushing tool from Z1.

Also every shop I called does not have experience replacing this bushing, but said they can do it and it will cost a lot. I wish I could find a shop that was familiar with Zs and knew about the bushing issue and replaced them before.

As a guy who has done motor swaps and head swaps and lots of other stuff, how much of a pain in the "A" would it be for me to replace the bushing myself with hand tools? I don't want to get stuck somewhere in the process and not be able to finish the job.
NissanParty is offline   Reply With Quote