View Single Post
Old 01-31-2024, 03:51 PM   #6290 (permalink)
markesc
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2014 370z M.B. 7AT
markesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond reputemarkesc has a reputation beyond repute

Finally took the time to rip out the stock headlights and put some time into them!

I went with:

Morimoto D2S 5.0 projectors
Krylon Fusion Satin Black to go over the chrome garbage
Krylon Fusion Metallic Dark Metal to go over the bezels
Morimoto RetroRubber Butyl Glue
Nissan 370z to D2S 5.0 / G5 Brakets
Diode Dynamics HP5 LED Pure White 194 bulbs

Tools:

Morimoto SealSplitter - This is the best $14 spent for headlight work!! Get one!

Compression Clips - These help when resealing
Large white Zip Ties - These also help when resealing

These lights are a F'n nightmare... everything takes 3-5x longer than anticipated... Memorable moments include - little stupid things like the drivers side headlight removal has these awkward plastic clips from the wire harness into the side of headlight...the headlights barely fit in oven!! and resealing them = takes a few shots of in the oven + pushing clear lens + tightening zip ties, then back in oven, then adding screws, tightening...

For those wanting to embark on this adventure - just beware: plan to have several days off work - I took 4 days because I'm old/slow!

Day 1 = Bumper drop/headlight removal/disassembly of all parts
Day 2 = Painting bezels/country club chrome - 24 + hours to outgas/dry - I let them sit in the sun both outside and inside the house
Day 3 = Re-assembly/reinstall
Day 4 = Refinish external housing - 600-800-1000-1500 grit, 3m hard plastic and lens finish (this you MUST use on a buffer/drill - you WANT HEAT!!!) - once done - you'll have a CLEAR lens!! If you don't - then keep buffing!! If the lens is hazy - do not "just" spray the Meguiars finish. Final step: Alcohol wipe, then Meguiars headlight finish....

Now I finally have that Acura Tsx/S2000 clear cutoff... I am running some old bulbs but once I update those I'll get everyone a photo of the cutoffs...

Here is the finished light:

I was going to put some Morimoto profile pivot strips with the super strip covers over them so you're not looking at a WHITE LINE... however I wanted them horizontal mounted like the Supras... and well... just ran out of time to mount them properly and they do not flex/bend AT ALL to make the curve towards the parking light... so those are sitting here doing nothing...

If I add everything up - including the profile strips I didn't use - and trips to the hardware store - I think I spent about $450 roughly... still better than $1450 for the Morimotos...

This is really a time vs. $$$ thing... If you have time - do the retro - if you're rushed - bite the bullet and get the morimotos or try to drive a second car and send your lights off in the mail and have someone else do them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 370z Headlight Finished.jpg (232.0 KB, 102 views)
markesc is offline   Reply With Quote