View Single Post
Old 10-25-2023, 07:00 PM   #473 (permalink)
danegrey
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 12 370Z BK Cherry M6
danegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond reputedanegrey has a reputation beyond repute

Last Track Day in the Z (Maybe ever)
The good.
Car felt good and I got down to my best lap of 1.39.76 (about 3,38 seconds off my personal best). The tires grip was available quickly, tire presures were stable
at 36F/34R. Felt great, thou I was in the advance group, and by far not the quickest person, lots of pointbys to finally get
a lap or two clear.

The Bad
Coolant leak came back, but it was different this time. So on the way to Atlanta I ran into slow freeway traffic,
was watching the temps and it all was normal. Drove to the track about a hour away, everything looking good.
No Coolant leaks were seen. On track and it all went down hill. See I had bought a cheap HUD unit, the plugs into the
OBDII port. Temps were not accurate, but it gave me an idea. So the first ten laps it got up over 240 (please realize, not
sure how accurate the gavage was) The dots were moving. What was interesting is in the first session, they moved up and
and down. Sometime rapidly, sometime in a corner. Well first session ended and there was some coolant that had leaked out.

Hmm, ok, check the overflow tank, it was below minimum, filled it back up to minimum. Went out for the 2nd session. So
as in the first, watching mirrors and coolant temp. This time it last 4 good laps and was over 240, did a slow down
lap and did not drop much. Tried one more and no change and I came in. This time I saw lots of coolant as it was
coming from the overflow tank. very very odd. I let the car sit, filled it overflow tank with what I had left
and drove back the gf house. No problem. Next day drove from Atlanta to Knoxville and everything was working normal.
Temps would go up to 205, fans come on, temps go down to 185. Got home no coolant leaks.

So it only occurs on the track and outside temps was low 60's (reference point)

Lost as to what the problem is, Next step, replace the two radiator caps and replaced the water pump

Out of ideas, actually will probably sell it. Also at the point of not wanting to put a whole lot more money in it.

Why you might ask why, just tired of trying to do everything right and constantly having little things to fix or resolve.
When I compare it to the Type-R, which was built for the track, vs building a car for the track. Probably because I am an old man.

Thoughts/comments/ideas for I am out of ideas.