View Single Post
Old 10-14-2023, 09:02 AM   #27 (permalink)
MotorvateDIY
Base Member

Drives: G37 Sport
MotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averying View Post
Thanks for the update! A fellow Z owner told me that he already has an oil pressure input feature with his ECUTEK tune via RSenthalpy. Do you know how they’re doing this and/or if it is similar to what you’re doing?
I do! They simply re-purpose an existing analog input: evap pressure sensor, MAF sensor (requires speed density), heated O2 Sensor 2 or the A/C pressure sensor.

Full docs here: https://ecutek.atlassian.net/wiki/sp...+Output+Hijack

This method requires something to be removed from its original purpose and re-purposed. I believe most use the EVAP (EcuTek calls it CPC -> Carbon purge canister) pressure sensor as it is the least intrusive.

The new method simply uses a module that can read the analog pressure/temperature sensor and do the conversion of "voltage to value".
For example with a 150 psi sensor sending 2.5v, equals 75 psi. (Transfer function is "sensor output voltage x 37.5 - 18.75")

After the value is calculated, some smoothing is applied (you won't believe how much oil pressure actually bounces around!) and sent out as a message on the car's CAN bus.
This is received by the ECU, EcuTek looks for a specific message ID and reads the value. Now it can make decisions based on the value

The biggest benefit of using the CAN bus as in input, is that it doesn't remove any functionality from the car and it can stay emission compliant.

PLUS it is much easier to install as it only needs to tap into 4 wires (ignition, ground, CAN H and CAN L) that are easy to access at the IPDM/ER.
MotorvateDIY is offline   Reply With Quote