View Single Post
Old 10-10-2023, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
m3clubracer
Base Member

Drives: G37x (also F80M3)
m3clubracer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BULL View Post
So a bit of background:

The engine has never liked 5W oil. I find that it produces a bit more metal than 10W. I've been using 10w- 30/40 depending on what's available.

I've been using Fram Gold Titan filters for 3 years, this specifically happened after I got an OEM Titan filter from the dealer. Former employer and I know the part department so I asked them for a Titan filter (hopefully they gave me the right one though to my understanding ALL titans are the same, never checked the part number)

Almost instantly started to experience this. Then hooked the oil pressure gauge to diagnose further.

The jumps in this pressure I contribute to VTCs engaging and disengaging.

Erratic pressures happen at all times however VTCs respond better prior to oil reaching operating temps. After 1 hour of driving I can see pressures drop a bit at idle 1 psi or so. Pinging is much more prevalent if I stay within 1.5-2.5k RPM

In my opinion it seems like a leak in the gaskets however possibly in the upper section, specifically affecting Bank 1 more than 2. Both get affected however it's always bank 1 more than 2.

Being that the pressures are more than enough at the sender I dont suspect Oil PSI is an issue but more that the pressures are not entering the VTC correctly. After changing VTC solenoids and sensors with working one's I've removed this possibility.

Another possibility is the VTC filters, possibility these could be clogged more towards Bank 1 vtc which I believe is why I see erratic pressures, as VTC solenoids demand operation, the pressure to them is not there (leak or filter clog) which causes them to act up,

The ability to monitor VTC oil pressure would help me out more and be able to further improve the diagnosis.
I was wondering if that was you (from myg37) over here. Possibly the phaser IS the problem? I wonder if Soho has run into this?
m3clubracer is offline   Reply With Quote