View Single Post
Old 09-29-2023, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snek123 View Post
Just a new thought: if the input speed sensor on transmission was faulty, wouldnt S-MODE actually stop working completely and never work? Because it doesnt work most of the times, but like 5 % of the times it DOES work. Doesnt that mean that the sensor must be OK then?
I got your DM but had a long day and just got done working, will respond tomorrow.

A sensor or other electronic devices can have an intermittent failure. They can work 99% of the time, but that 1% they dont, it trips a DTC and that codes remains stored until cleared. (I think some codes can timeout after enough cycles of not having a problem, maybe, but I dont know much about that because I would proactively clear codes and remedy the situation right away).

Intermittent issues can be a result of the sensor itself being on its way out for various reasons... maybe there is cracked internal solder joint or something or really who knows without investigating it. Usually its a better use of time to just replace a part and not worry about why it failed. There could be wiring that was damaged and occasionally drops signal with the sensor depending on which way the wind blows, etc, tripping the DTC.

Sometimes sensors are redundant and vehicle systems can default to another means. For example the ISS sensor should just match the engine speed sensor any time the clutch pedal isnt engaged. Do they have the software coded to revert to engine speed signal when the transmission input shaft speed sensor signal is missing? No way to predict the logic... could unplug the ISS entirely and see what happens, otherwise the guy who coded it might be the only one who knows off the top of their head.

Last edited by phunk; 09-29-2023 at 09:53 PM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote