View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
MikeUCFL
Base Member

Drives: '12 370Z Mag Blk 6MT
MikeUCFL is on a distinguished road
Default DIY: Enable the Tire Pressure Menu

Images taken from Motorvate DIY's G37

First off I'll say I take zero credit for figuring any of this out, I saw it on one of the latest Motorvate DIY video (who he also attributes finding some of this info out by someone named Gareth Bryan), and tested it out for the 370z. Worked for me without any issues so far (only a day of testing). I will say this is experimental and you are taking a risk doing these commands, any issues that arise would be your responsibility. Motorvate DIY said he has been running with this on his G37 it for about 3 months with no issues, only a day for my 2012 370z

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVikE-EOncg

Here's just a breakdown of what I got out of the video and steps I took. I would suggest watching the video over my steps, as his instructions are pretty clear, and can explain things better if you get lost.

Necessary Hardware Items:
  1. 370z with Navigation and a USB port in the center console (not sure if the 2009 models had the USB port?)
  2. Windows laptop (video says to use Windows 10 or 11, believe Windows 7 needs a driver that wasn't readily known)
  3. USB A to A cable (male to male)
  4. USB memory stick of 4 or 8 GB (I see an update in the description stating he was able to get 16GB and 32GB working, but I tested on an 8GB stick). Also the stick needs to be using FAT32 filesystem (not exFAT or NTFS or anything else)

Steps I took:
  1. Plug the memory stick in the laptop and create an empty file on the root drive called "UsbDebugStart.ivanaX".
  2. On your laptop, download putty https://www.putty.org/. This will be used to send and receive commands from the vehicle.
  3. Go to your car, turn the power on to Acc and wait for the system to boot up.
  4. Once the navigation is booted up, plug the USB stick in to the USB port in your center console. You'll see the navigation display "Reading USB memory". I believe this step is to just tell the system to enable access to send and receive commands.
  5. After a few seconds of "Reading USB memory" displaying, unplug the USB stick and then plug in your USB cable in the USB port in your car.
  6. Now plug the other end of the USB cable to your PC.
  7. We need to know which COM port to use for sending and receiving data with Putty, so open your device manager (start menu -> type 'device manager'). Look under Ports (COM & LPT) and should hopefully list one COM port (e.g. COM6 is what is shown on his system at https://youtu.be/hVikE-EOncg?t=427)
  8. Run putty on your machine that you downloaded.
  9. Go to Session -> Logging and turn on 'All session output' and save the log file name somewhere on disk. This will keep a log of what you saw and sent just in case.
  10. Now click on Session on the left and change the connection type to 'Serial' and set the Serial line to the COM port you found earlier (e.g. COM6). The speed should be 9600 as well.
  11. Click open. This will open a serial connection to the unit and you may see some spam of messages come in.
  12. Hit enter once to see a command prompt of 'xanavi>' show up. Now you're able to send and receive commands
  13. Type in 'xrcnf 2' which lists the current configuration. The first time you run this you should see: TPMS information = 0 (OFF), after enabling you should see it say the value is 3 (ON)
  14. Then type in 'sys 2 9 1 13 3' to enable TPMS. This should say Write Item = 3
  15. Then type 'xrcnf 2' again and now it should say TPMS information 3 (X61A type)
  16. Now turn the car off for 10 seconds and you can unplug your computer and USB cable
  17. When starting the car (not the Acc mode, must be in the ON position). Tire pressure menu should show up. You need to be moving for the tire pressure to show up. MotorvateDIY also figured out the ordering of the values is Front Left, Front Right, Rear Right, and Rear Left.

Last edited by MikeUCFL; 10-06-2023 at 11:53 PM.
MikeUCFL is offline   Reply With Quote