View Single Post
Old 09-21-2023, 02:18 PM   #625 (permalink)
OptionZero
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 370Z Nismo 6MT
OptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond reputeOptionZero has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this to provide some word of warning in case anyone is considering SSR three piece wheels in the future.

I picked up some curb rash one one a wheel and had to repair it. The process has been absurdly difficult:

1) SSR welds the barrel and lip, so it's effectively a two piece wheel, not three. Splitting a welded wheel is difficult and you aren't guaranteed to ever get it back to spec after putting it back together.

2) Even if you do split it, SSR won't sell replacement faces, lips or barrels, so...good luck? You are forced to repair the original part as best you can or go used.

3) Asking for the paint code? LOL

4) Oh, and the bolts used to fix the face to the barrel? They're M6x30, internal spline drive. You aren't gonna find a replacement aftermarket with the correct shape, and you DEFINITELY won't find them in red, if that's what you happened to order. They don't sell replacements, either. If you lose or break a bolt, you are SOL. I am forced to drill out to m7 to use a more commonly available size (as in . . .you can actually find m7 bolts made for wheels)

They did not offer TPMS drilling from the factory when I ordered the wheel, which is stupid since so many new years require TPMS. of course, after my wheels arrived, they announced this year they are going to offer TPMS drilling.

I wanted laser-etching on my lips, which looked available, only to learn after ordering that they can't do it on painted lips. Oops.

All this means that for rash on one wheels, I had to repaint all 4 wheels to get a color match (because they won't sell me a lip in the right size, and it's too hard to perfectly match one lip)

Then re-drill the assembly holes to m7

Then buy a new set of assembly bolts to match (no more red, back to stainless steel)

After doing all this work to fix my SSRs, they'll probably go up for sale.
I'm going with Work or Rays for any future wheels