View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #63 (permalink)
t-ray
Base Member

Drives: 05 g sedan 6mt
t-ray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCZ View Post
^ well over 300 passes + other abuse and you're wondering if its the transmission's fault?

No, those things you can't do are due to the abuse, synchros are probably messed up to hell. The transmission in our cars ins't designed to withstand that much abuse, they aren't race transmissions.
Wait, are you telling me that I am abusing my car? Seriously? Thanks for the newsflash.

I'm not wondering "if it's the transmission's fault." Obviously my use of the car far exceeds anything any of its constituent components were realistically designed to do. Rather, I was asking phunk what his thoughts were on why his transmission has functioned so well for so long, considering it too has seen abuse.

Like him, I'm talking about full throttle shifting. I use the clutch, I just don't lift off the throttle(except for 1>2). I also have an aftermarket clutch, and a lightweight flywheel, but I'm making half his power(~265whp).

Somewhat on topic - there's a fascinating thread over on the "other site" where the 6mt was torn apart and the internals analyzed. It's no longer a sticky, as it's over three years old now, but if you're interested, it was started by a guy named BriGuyMax. It has picture of the actual individual gears - interesting reading. In fact, phunk posted in that thread.
t-ray is offline   Reply With Quote