View Single Post
Old 07-11-2023, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
JARblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 Z34, 98 E36 M3
JARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond reputeJARblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by *J*ap***V*et* View Post
I'm not gunna lie...I think it's a meaningless precaution. The percentage of gallery gaskets that really go bad is so exceedingly low. For 5k I'd just buy a newer engine and jave it replaced for that price they quoted you.
Catastrophic failure numbers are indeed low. Partly because it would be very difficult to trace the cause of failure back to the gallery gaskets. But oil pressure is an important variable in an engine and low oil pressure can lead to other problems. The gaskets tend to blow out at different spots over time so it's one of those things that can build up to a bad situation in the end.

I can tell you that when I pulled my timing cover (at 100K miles), both gaskets were blown out in multiple locations and we found bits of the gaskets in the oil pan as well. Others that have done the same work have found similar conditions upon timing cover removal.

2011 370Z 6MT Sport Gun Metallic | ARC | CJM | Ecutek | FI | Fujimura | R2C | SPL | Stillen | TWM | Z1 | ZSpeed |
JARblue is offline   Reply With Quote