View Single Post
Old 06-23-2023, 03:49 AM   #12196 (permalink)
filip00
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370z pack
filip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec to vvel View Post
I'm not sure what more of an explanation you are wanting. My original post was regarding hurricane/meteorology forecasts and the accuracy of them. No conspiracy theory or hidden agenda, or insinuating of "anything going on". Somehow, ocean mapping got into the picture.

There really isn't anything to explain/dive further on, as my stance is with meteorologists having need to be educated and certified, paired with technology and being able to take into consideration different weather conditions/variables, they should be able to make better/more accurate forecasts. I get it's not an exact science, BUT, each news station team has a panel of meteorologists (not just 1) and usually confer amongst themselves. I am wondering as to why something major as a hurricane can have multitudes of scenarios (rather than just a limited few) and be way off. The meteorologists should be able to use different events, such as fronts, troughs, El Nino, La Nina, wind shears, un/favorable conditions, etc. and be able to formulate a few accurate paths.

In terms of ocean mapping, again, I didn't bring this up, but the distances involved for the ocean and outer space are not comparable. From the surface to the location of the Titanic is less than 3 miles deep, whereas the distance from Earth to the Moon is thousands of miles away. Logically, one could think it is easier to map the ocean floor of where the Titanic sits than to map out the Moon. If we have the technology to map out the Moon with an advanced telescope, then I would think we would also have the technology (or could develop) to map underwater that's less than 3 miles deep.
I appreciate the explanation of your reasoning. So if I understand correctly, the main reason why you view this as odd (to have moon mapped, on not ocean) is the sheer distance differential between the two. I get it.
Well, I can safely say - that's one of those illusions. However far space may seem, you are talking about exploring something simply by having a telescope. Newton and Kepler were both successful at observing distant bodies centuries ago, but diving - nobody has.
Another important piece - in space, you are dealing with just ONE atmosphere of pressure difference between Earth and Space. In the deep ocean, the difference can be 300 Atmospheres of pressure. So we are talking about a COMPLETELY different challenge. Take that as well into your perspective.