View Single Post
Old 06-22-2023, 04:31 PM   #12189 (permalink)
vtec to vvel
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13 Z
vtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
Yes, I'm telling you exactly that. I'll even give you another analogy. One person in space, the other on earth. The dude in space only needs to make a flash of light and you will see it, regardless of your distance. If you replace light by radiowaves, you will get communication.

Now beneath the deep ocean...is a different medium. There are other objects in between (hint: there are virtually NO objects in space between us and the moon [except maybe some satellites]), and there are also deep sea caverns, and the pressure is larger, and waves do not travel freely in this medium.....even light can't penetrate it.....do...you....see where I'm going with this?
Quote:
I am shocked that you are what, questioning this? You think that's not the case, or what? Or you think they should've mapped more? How? Read my comment above.
Quote:
Saddest part is - I didn't need to look up the fact that the ocean floor is virtually completely unmapped. Also, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the difference between mapping an ocean floor and a foreign space body. YES THE MOON IS FURTHER. YES. But that does not mean you can't observe it from afar. That does not mean you can't map the whole fckn thing - we've got incredible telescopes.

And ocean? Do you have underwater telescopes? WE DON'T. Do we have super submersible vessels that withstand crazy pressures deep beneath? NO SIR, WE DON'T HAVE THOSE EITHER. And I'm not sarcastic here - WE DON'T HAVE THESE. Even the most advanced nuclear submarines can only submerge a couple of hundred meters deep.
So seriously - how DO you go about mapping the ocean floor? Light doesn't penetrate deeper than maybe 100 meters. Then what? I mean, do you even fathom the practical problems of mapping the ocean floor?

The only thing we've got is sonar. Fckn sonar. You know what that gives us? It gives us a ROUGH ESTIMATE of depth and where the walls are. That's it. Good luck with anything else. If there's an underwater cave - we'll miss it unless we go around the siphon to see it.

****, I'm tired of explaining.

Do me a favor now and you tell me. Seriously - you tell me, what do you think is going on? You think that we actually mapped the ocean floor? You think there's a conspiracy against it or what? Seriously asking this, I'm not joking, I genuinely want to understand how do you view this, because it will help me understand how someone else doesn't understand this, and I'll maybe be able to explain better and easier next time.
Didn't think my posts and opinions would create such traction lol. You do you and I'll do me.

But be careful, there are those here that will take these posts as political and report. Still wondering who among us that is.

DaveZ03, be sure to send a blank check my way and I will gladly take on the ocean mapping project. Someone has to do it.