View Single Post
Old 06-22-2023, 12:45 PM   #12185 (permalink)
filip00
Track Member

Drives: 370z pack
filip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec to vvel View Post
Yes, because he was able to look up how we as a society don't know our own planet. Great observation
Saddest part is - I didn't need to look up the fact that the ocean floor is virtually completely unmapped. Also, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the difference between mapping an ocean floor and a foreign space body. YES THE MOON IS FURTHER. YES. But that does not mean you can't observe it from afar. That does not mean you can't map the whole fckn thing - we've got incredible telescopes.

And ocean? Do you have underwater telescopes? WE DON'T. Do we have super submersible vessels that withstand crazy pressures deep beneath? NO SIR, WE DON'T HAVE THOSE EITHER. And I'm not sarcastic here - WE DON'T HAVE THESE. Even the most advanced nuclear submarines can only submerge a couple of hundred meters deep.
So seriously - how DO you go about mapping the ocean floor? Light doesn't penetrate deeper than maybe 100 meters. Then what? I mean, do you even fathom the practical problems of mapping the ocean floor?

The only thing we've got is sonar. Fckn sonar. You know what that gives us? It gives us a ROUGH ESTIMATE of depth and where the walls are. That's it. Good luck with anything else. If there's an underwater cave - we'll miss it unless we go around the siphon to see it.

****, I'm tired of explaining.

Do me a favor now and you tell me. Seriously - you tell me, what do you think is going on? You think that we actually mapped the ocean floor? You think there's a conspiracy against it or what? Seriously asking this, I'm not joking, I genuinely want to understand how do you view this, because it will help me understand how someone else doesn't understand this, and I'll maybe be able to explain better and easier next time.