View Single Post
Old 06-22-2023, 09:23 AM   #12161 (permalink)
vtec to vvel
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13 Z
vtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip00 View Post
Listen, take the following as a given, because these are the facts:
1. You can't predict the weather with 100% confidence. You can't, forget it.
2. Nobody can guarantee safety from hurricanes, force majeur events etc.

Now with those two in mind....would you rather that you have a newscaster who says:

"Hurricane is underway, we expect it will go throught states A, B and C, we got no idea if it will go to other states like C, D, E, good luck folks."

or would you like something like:

"Hurricane is underway, we expect it will go throught states A, B and C, we think that states like C, D, E are safe, to the best of our knowledge."

Because the first one will get them legally off the hook, and I dunno, you'll be happy? But what will happen is panic, a lot of people AGAIN hoarding stuff and idiots spreading everywhere......so they are doing the second, but you'r angry because nobody guarantees safety.

I mean think about it for a moment.
I'm not angry nor asking for 100% accurate results, and I understand weather is not an exact science. BUT, given the education/technology/qualifications/etc. needed, meteorologist should and need to give a better picture of its projected path based on conditions and factors (i.e. warm air, warm water, wind shear, troughs, any jet streams that could push the hurricane away to a different direction, etc.). They have plenty of tools and resources and KNOWN variables to depict these phenomenons. There will be different scenarios, but these should be very limited, and not have the spaghetti models with the entire alphabet.