View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
cv129
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Nismo, 16 Nismo
cv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond reputecv129 has a reputation beyond repute

What an interesting timing. I happened to switch out door handle assemblies on wife’s car yesterday (from the older silver to the darker chrome finish of the 18+ model year).

A mismatch key wouldn’t be able to turn the cylinder. Each lock cylinder is matched with a specific key, wrong key (with the wrong “humps”) won’t fully release the lock, and therefore shouldn’t turn at all. If you are able to turn it that much, I would think the key and lock cylinder are a match. I just experimented with 3 sets of Z/G keys on an unknown Z cylinder lock. I couldn’t turn the lock at all.

The lock cylinder can be replaced. Once door handle is removed, it’s just two screws holding the lock cylinder. But again, a matching key will be needed for the used lock cylinder. Your existing key won’t work.

For your last question: Don’t need to reprogram anything.

Last edited by cv129; 06-05-2023 at 09:54 AM.
cv129 is offline   Reply With Quote