View Single Post
Old 04-20-2023, 12:11 AM   #10521 (permalink)
FL 4Motion
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Baby Shark
FL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond reputeFL 4Motion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec to vvel View Post
I used to believe in global warming. Not so much anymore.

And "amazing medical technology". We can send a man to the moon (did we really though?), but we can't find a cure for cancer/AIDS.
Assuming your being serious and not kidding. Sometimes hard to infer from text vs in person talking…

This /\ is the real tragedy of the “post truth” world we live in now. Common binding ideas, facts, beliefs have been replaced with believe whatever crazy bullsh1t I want and I can go on the web and find other people to support me and agree and read compelling if still wrong rationalizations to make me feel better about myself. And many people have made a lot of money and careers feeding the conspiracy theory post truth alternative facts ecosystem.

Some examples of this is the rise in climate change denialism and the gender fluid/trans movement. Let’s break it down a bit for both examples bc they’re symptomatic of the same problem.

Climate change deniers: in the 70s the leading nasa and noaa and climate scientists were warning of a coming cool down or new ice age. This was bc at that time, the best scientific understanding was as we keep adding particulate pollution into the atmosphere we’re gonna reduce sunlight which would have a cooling effect. That’s valid and actually still true.

Then with better emissions regulations and cleaning up pier plants etc, less particulate pollution is going up into the sky. Additionally, we now know the co2 and methane emissions don’t block the incoming sunlight but they do trap heat inside the atmosphere thereby creating, you guessed it, a warming effect, hence the term global warming.

It’s referred to as climate change bc as global temp rise, this isn’t uniformly distributed across the world. Also, if the northern tier gets on average a few degrees warmer, then instead of bitter cold and less snow, you get still bitter cold but just warm and wet enough for. Shitton more snow. In other words, some areas get hotter and dryer, some areas become more prone to flooding and rain events and snow. The southeast is getting hotter and a bit drier, the northeast is getting a bit hotter and wetter which means more snow in winter, same with northern tier. The southwest is getting hotter and drier.

Remember you take averages so just cause we’re warming doesn’t mean no more cold snaps etc.

The rising temps also mean global weather patterns and winds are shifting and changing. This can lead to more unpredictable severe weather like tornadoes, flash floods etc. for Florida, we really see the effects of climate change acutely. Compared to 15-20 years ago we are averaging 5-10 degrees above normal in dry season, and 3-5 degrees warmer in wet season. Doesn’t sound like much but it’s miserable. Hurricanes are now dumping more water for longer when they hit bc the oceans are warmer and that is hurricane fuel.

Scientists use among other tools arctic and Antarctic ice cores that can show us temps and carbon in our atmosphere going back hundreds of millions of years. Since the 1800s and the industrial revolution, carbon emissions and global temp have risen faster than any time in history except the early dinosaur period, (cretatious iiirc). Back then it was bc of massive numbers of volcanoes causing what we are doing bc of emissions.

We act like immature children that don’t want to take responsibility for our actions. I’m a free market capitalist, the industrial revolution and fossil fuels are the greatest achievement of mankind and we built our amazing society on the back of fossil fuel but it’s time to acknowledge that everything has consequences and it’s time to revolutionize our society and move to cleaner energy.