View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #741 (permalink)
travisjb
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: VIR
travisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by imag View Post
Awesome work. Loving the build photos...

...still can't figure out why you started with a 370Z, let alone a brand new one, but hey...
Okay, I'll bite... could have bought someone's used race car and that would have been cheaper but I would not have been able to enjoy seeing the car come together one piece at a time... In addition, most come with lots of unknowns and mechanical issues that need to be sorted out, and you may get a car with a bent frame etc. And wouldn't have been *that* much less expensive, assuming I targeted the same level of performance... I could have bought an American muscle car but I don't like the way they drive. I have 4 full days in a 2008 corvette at bondurant, and I was not impressed - just not for me. I could have bought another Porsche, was originally planning on a 2003-4 996 C2 conversion but that would have been boring! Those cars are everywhere and it would never have been as 'good' as the many GT3 / cup cars. The Z has the element of surprise at the track - no one knows what times it will turn - in fact I find that a lot of ppl underestimate it... My total build cost is less than if I had started with a used Porsche... and less than if I had bought a new factory Ford Mustang racecar... and I'm confident I have a faster, more reliable, safer track car

Re why new... how many used 370Z's were available in Feb 2009?

The cost of operation of this car is low as well... I can pick up a rear diff for about $1k... can't say that about a porsche!!!
2009 370Z #104
*For Sale*
travisjb is offline   Reply With Quote