View Single Post
Old 04-08-2023, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dreadnaught
Track Member

Drives: 14 SR 370z 6MT
Dreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond reputeDreadnaught has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZ View Post
You know, I was wondering about this. (not directly at OP)

I see a lot of people jacking on the oil pan to lift engine for Engine mount replacement.

Not sure if a 1x2 or such wood pieces really distribute force that much. (but videos show it's fine)

I understand using just the jack pad alone is not a good idea or would I ever attempt.

So is that a safe statement regarding pushing up on oil pan? ( to lift engine only, not entire car)
You can jack up the engine by the oil pan. I've done it plenty of times during my line of work.

For example when reinstalling the front cover on a 2016 Ford Fusion with the 2.0 inline 4 banger, I put a block of wood where I want to jack the engine up. I remove the engine mount once I have the jack just touch the oil pan. You always want to put wood on the floor jack lifting pad and put the floor jack under the oil pan at the front of the engine where it makes an L shape with the block.