View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 06:21 PM   #949 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

OK this might be one of the posts you have been waiting for. The cubby mount is done for my Tinker Electronics. I was going to inlay carbon fiber... but nah. I think it looks really damn good as is. Leading up to the completion I had to figure out how to mount the display to the cubby. I went to Lowes and bought a few different types of L brackets and some Polycarbonate. Turns out the L brackets fit the bill perfectly. All I needed to do was sand out slots on the side of the cubby and then epoxy them down. I used two types of epoxies to do this. The first was a clear gel that I put into the grove and all around the metal. Now, I know this is likely enough but I used a different two part epoxy that built up and over the cubby (it was less runny.). The mount worked perfect!

Now I'm just getting things out of order... Prior to doing the mount, I attempted to paint the cubby with VHT satin paint. It looked amazing! Down side was that the color and look was all wrong for interior. After sanding 95% of the paint off I learned that Spray Max sells a matt black trim paint and satin black trim paint. So... I bought both of them. I started out with the matt black trim, after the the other debacle, and it was exactly what I was going for.

I sure hope you guys liked seeing the complete process from A-Z for this. It wasn't a cake walk for me. Now I'm working on getting the mold prepared for Mr. Redondoaveb. He has some awesome plans with the blank cubby mount and Frank Motorvate. I need to lay out clear coat over the face of the cubby. I found out that the cubby will pull the slightest imprint onto the face.

I was so happy with my cubby's fitment that I gave it to a buddy that works in fabrication for airplanes (I'm sure there's a fancy name for it) and he said that they have a 100k+ dollar scanner that he can scan the cubby mount. This will be the first step in getting a 3D printed version out to people. Now, I don't know if this will actually materialize getting done, but getting it going to see what can come of it is a big step. I've had 4-5 people ask about getting a cubby and they immediately lost interest when I told them 700. I can't say I blame them, it's expensive. However, I'd gladly pay 700 not to f#uck with buying supplies, sanding, and sinking my time in general if I personally had the option. It was a LOT of work getting to this point. I think people understand that though, or at least hope so, because I've been completely transparent about this process.

I'll need to get the cubby back soon though... My Z is scheduled for some dyno time soon!

Pictures are in order of process:

gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote