View Single Post
Old 02-22-2023, 03:13 PM   #945 (permalink)
gbrettin
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Tricycle
gbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond reputegbrettin has a reputation beyond repute

Michigan had some unseasonable warm weather for a few days, so I took advantage. I did a few more layups on the cubby mold. After a complete cure cycle it was time to release the mold. Removal was accomplished by drilling holes into the back of the mold and then hitting 2" bolts with a BFH. To my delight the cubby was released! Upon inspection I noticed that the legs needed some work and a few air pockets needed to be addressed. Marglass was used in the pockets and then sanded. After that, I followed on with light weight Bondo to smooth out the surface.

I recently ordered a center cubby console off of ebay so that I can test the accuracy of the mold. TBH, I think it's dead on but I will give it a test as soon as it comes in this week. Once the weather gets a little warmer I can start in on the B side of the mold. That shouldn't be anything like the first part of the molding process. I already have the mold and all I need to do is get the face and mount points for my Tinker Electronics display. Working a bit more with fiberglass has helped me understand how to lay it and the the timing of the resin. You might be thinking I went hard on the resin for the A side... well, that was intentional. I needed to make sure that the face had an accurate representation and I wasn't comfortable at laying in the fiberglass. A forum member asked for cubby mount for a Motorvate digital display so I think he will get an even better cubby mount than what I have. Next cubby will have less resin and OEM looking feet (I hope). And let's be honest... The feet came out pretty decent on the first one here. I'm just looking for perfection I guess. Perhaps I will do vacuum bagging on the next one? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In other news. Sick week wrapped up and the Diehl Brothers landed top 10 in their class (I think 8th). Check out the video of their last run. During the week they were out my Nismo RS Juke was totaled. A kid pulled out in front of me in a full sized Tacoma. No injuries were reported but I'm sure that kids Dad was mad as hell. Now I'm on the hunt for a nice daily. You ight be curious as to why I'm posting that bit of information... Well... I now have Nismo RS Juke seats for my Z. I'm actually on the fence about putting them in. They look amazing but they are heavy due to air bags. I know this is going to be a shocker, but my Z will not have airbags. Hey, I guess I have options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIOR4RsqLSk
gbrettin is offline   Reply With Quote