View Single Post
Old 01-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
filip00
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370z pack
filip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not kidding when I say I literally threw it away after installing a mechanical one.
The problem is that it's viscous, which means that it works on the basis of having fluid pressure build-up between the clutch plates. That means that while it's cold and you barely just started driving - it will grab nicely, because the oil in the diff is thick and cold. Once it gets hot (actual operating temperature), it will start to lose grip. For example, you try to do a donut, and the car will randomly keep spinning both wheels for a second or two, then the outside wheel will lose all power and grab on, while the inner wheel will start spinning like crazy.
And don't think it applies only to silly donuts in the parking lot. A completely usual track day, not pushing the car to its limits, but going on a tight hairpin corner, if you have grippy tires, the inner wheel lifts and you do a one wheel burnout. It's just AWFUL.

So to be honest, I'd look for the sport package maybe because of the wheels...maybe brakes....maybe even the S-mode (the synchro-shift for manual gearbox), not sure if the base model gets it....those are great features. But the LSD is ****. Forget about the stock LSD being good, because even if you're not that demanding a driver, if you feel like you need the LSD in the car, then you'll want this visco-**** out of it. Trust me.

Last edited by filip00; 01-24-2023 at 01:04 PM.
filip00 is offline   Reply With Quote