View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 01:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
filip00
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370z pack
filip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond reputefilip00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractionless View Post
Go 2013 or you're at higher risk of low oil pressure due to oil galley gaskets leaking. It's an internal leak so you won't know unless you have someone check oil pressure for you as there isn't an onboard gauge.

Other than that all years have the same inherent problems of blown rear end cover mount, broken fuel pump hat, locking steering wheel and a couple other less common nuances. Also go with the sport so you get the bigger brakes and LSD.

For SC plan on $350'ish for an oil cooler upgrade right off the bat and most do at least a 19 row even when NA.

If you can wait, it will be a buyers market very soon as prices are already coming down due to interest rates and the economy.

I bought my 2010 sport/touring with 72k on it in 2016 for $15k with a clean carfax/title.
As a 2009 sport owner, I'll give you a few words of my own advice as well.

1. Galley gaskets - it's not big deal to have them changed for newer ones, you'll shell out around $700 for labor, the parts are only $50. After you changed the gaskets, you'll have a peace of mind.

2. In addition to changing or NOT changing gaskets - the Z has a "problem", where it likes to heat up oil if you're pushing it. Because of this, a lot of owners install an oil cooler. Oil cooler means additional pathway for oil, namely just behind the bumper, and you've got all these additional fittings. To make sure all is well - you'll want to install an oil pressure gauge. So - even if you don't do galley gaskets - you can monitor internal oil pressure and know if something's wrong.

3. When I got the car, it being a fully loaded sport package, means I got the beautiful 19" Rays, as well as big akebonos. They work great! I also got that LSD.....that viscous shitty LSD. It never works. It never worked. It's absolute **** and whoever tells me otherwise, either doesn't know what he's talking about or doesn't have the cash to upgrade. The LSD is NOT the part because of which you would want the sport package. It's well worth installing an aftermarket mechanical LSD which will transform the car.

4. Other faults are true - steering wheel lock - can be mitigated just by pulling the fuse out, problem solved forever. Fuel pump hat - well, upgrade the fuel pump.

Other than that - I'd tell you to just go for the lowest mileage clean example you can find and enjoy modifying it as you see fit.
filip00 is offline   Reply With Quote