View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 12:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
vtec to vvel
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 13 Z
vtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond reputevtec to vvel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ DAIZY View Post
Ive decided to put this off for now. Ill revisit in he spring.
Honestly bro, I think you made the better financial choice on this. If a dealership offered you $25K, I personally wouldn’t go below this mark, esp. if selling privately. My line of work is basically to sell money and debt, but I also like to keep people informed so they can make informative decisions, so the following is my opinion of course:

As I said before, it really depends on your goals. If you are in a position where you absolutely HAVE to sell, that’s one thing, but if time is not of the essence, my opinion is that it would be better to wait on selling (though the value of your car may or may not be the same at a later time).

The GOOD: Though it’s getting better, global supply chain issues is still prevalent and this is what’s keeping prices/values higher, aside from inflation. So you as a seller could still benefit from this. The consumer market has shifted for sure within the past few months, but, due to the supply issues, it still is more of a seller’s market.

The BAD: Due to Feds raising the rates, it can be challenging to find qualified buyers for financing. The loan qualification standards itself should remain the same (DTI, etc.), but the amount the borrower qualifies for is the key. Not sure how auto lending works, but in mortgage, for every 1% increase in rate is approx. 10% decrease in buying power. Unless you can find a cash buyer willing to shell out $25K, there is a good chance that you would be playing the waiting game and dropping the price in the process of selling now (and I don’t think you want to drop the price to a point where it’s below what you need/want to net).

The UGLY: IMO, it’s a bad time to take on additional debt because it is getting more expensive to borrow (who know what the Feds will do with rates going forward). I also think it’s a bad time to be selling because of the limited pool of qualified buyers available due to elevated rates. So while not selling now could possibly prevent you from having to keep dropping price and net below what you need/want, waiting to sell later can also have its drawbacks because there is no telling how car values may fluctuate (real estate and cars are two completely different forms of investments – asset vs liability). Some people think the economy is currently in a recession (and by definition, we may be), however, the Feds generally never raise rates during a recession (in fact, they would reduce rates via quantitative easing to encourage borrowed spending to stimulate the economy). With recession fears looming, people will start being more conscious of their spending habits (commodity vs necessity). Many economists are projecting that a recession should be coming sometime in 2023, and if this happens, this is when rates should start dropping, which then would equate to more buyers.