View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
MotorvateDIY
Base Member

Drives: G37 Sport
MotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond reputeMotorvateDIY has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averying View Post
Curious about the dimensions on the MFD. wonder if it could fit in the cubby space for those of us with non-nav cars
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The factory Nav screen is only usable with the nav unit, as it uses a special 2 wire video interface called GVIF (gigibit video interface)

The visible screen is 7" (measured diagonal) with an outside dimensions of: 7" x 4.5"

At Gregory Brettin's request, I am looking into developing a stand alone 7" LCD screen for his custom "fibreglass cubby screen holder" (my words, not his!)

Driving a large 7" display with a microcontroller is a little challenging.
In order to get 30 frames per second for a smooth display, it requires a data rate of 5.76 million bytes per second (@ 4 bits/colour)

Yes, you could use a Raspberry Pi, but I *hate* the 20-30 second boot up EVERY TIME you start your car.

A microcontroller start up is less than 1 second when you have a 1 second splash screen. (Meaning it is almost an instant start up)

Development of the 7" gauge display will start in the new year.
MotorvateDIY is offline   Reply With Quote