View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #71 (permalink)
370Z944
Base Member

Drives: 370zNismo/944 turbo
370Z944 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
The VR38 and the VQ37VHR are not the same block. They are way different. The VQ oil pump is ran on the crank. The VR38 oil pump is ran via a chain on the crank. Totally different. The VR38 block is closed deck with 13mm head studs. The VQ is open deck with 12mm head studs. The engines are totally different. Can't leave off the drive shaft running through the factory oil pain of the VR38. VR38's are taller also.
Again, same casting. Dressed up for boost.. I forgot to mention AWD dressings.. my bad. Pumps and chains should be auxilary to the block with the same exact bore, and coolant passages. Of course all that heavy obese godzilla crap would be deleted. LMAO Besides, its moot if I'm just plugging in a top end to a vq bottom end dressed up for boost to my liking. All you would really need is forged rods, and lower comp pistons to have a reiable turbo car(bottom end wise). If you want to crank out high boost, yeah.. you'd want to close the deck to prevent the jugs from wiggling.. like nissan did. They already spent millions here writing the playbook, might as well follow it. It is a highly developed motorsport platform already.. they just didn't put all the parts on it that I want cause it would've taken sales from their flagship gtr pig. Nothing stopping me from taking those parts, and configuring them how I want on a proper RWD manual.

"The VQ oil pump is ran on the crank. The VR38 oil pump is ran via a chain on the crank."

The crank is not the same. The oiling difference I would assume is for a dry sump. The VR has 2,5 mm longer stroke. So yeah, def different crank.. Same block, coolant passages and bolt patterns tho.

"The VR38 block is closed deck with 13mm head studs. The VQ is open deck with 12mm head studs."

1mm drill and tap, then call ARP. Done. Just needs to be the same pattern. The deck, again.. put whatever liners you want in it. Doesn't even have to be the same material nissan ran. Hell, put iron sleeves in with closed deck, and call mahle for some pistons. I like JE too. You could probably put in the VR sleeves even. The material you choose for sleeves determines which pistons you can run is all really. Closed deck is really necessary for high boost apps. Hence why nissan put it on their boosted version of the FM sports car platform. On low to moderate boost, you wont see wiggle. Especially if tuned properly. My 944 has an open deck. I put 50k on it with 16 psi.. no issues. Again, decking, oiling, sleeving.. this is all ancillary to the actual block/crankcase. All the rwd nissans share many of the same core parts. They do this to save money. and manufacture a sports car people can afford vs the GTR hardly anyone can afford. It's a tuner car, it was literally designed to be finished and tuned by the end user. If you want nissan to dress your z chassis up from the factory with race tech, and performance to their liking, its called a GTR. The GTR doesn't do it for me. It's a bloated, ugly pig IMO. Not how I would dress it up, thats part of why they make the z the way they do. It's got to fit a budget. You could spend200-250k on a nismo gtr dressed up just how nissan thinks you should want it, or you could buy a z for 40-50k, and for another 100k(max high number) plug in the parts and configure it how you want it. RWD manual FTW. I'll totally highjack their engineering, and develoment tho. Put it all into one car to my liking. Mwahahaha. They do have tasty milkshakes... Sip, sip, gulp.

Last edited by 370Z944; 07-26-2022 at 06:40 PM.
370Z944 is offline   Reply With Quote