View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 05:38 PM   #70 (permalink)
Spooler
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2013 Nismo 370z
Spooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond reputeSpooler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z944 View Post
Well, this is one of those situations where I'm not entirely sure... yet. Part of why I brought it up. Now that the 944 is finally getting put back together I can start focusing on my Z. Not many have done this yet(if any), and I haven't taken one apart yet to find out. Based on what I'm seeing so far tho, the VQ and VR are the same block. Cast from the same molds. The difference is that they 'dress up' the VR block. Why buy a whole long block? I can just build up my vq bottom end myself, to my specs. Liners, close the deck, longer stroke, lower compression, forged rods. As long as the coolant passages line up it's gravy. They should. The main difference between the engines bottom ends is that the VR is built for boost, and a slightly longer stroke. Also why slapping on aftermarket turbos onto a high compression stock bottom end is not a good idea, and in 20 years will be worthless. Why use the VR heads? "Bett
er"? Whether the vq heads are better is subjective. They're not built for boost, and I'm pretty sure they wont line up with the GTR intake and plumbing. I could be wrong tho. I havent sunk my teeth into all the fine details, yet. I'm certainly not seeing how it's a "no go" though. Unless you got schematics proving otherwise.

They also share the same core chassis FWIW. If any nissans were truly bespoke, they'd be priced with ferraris, bugatti, pagani, etc. The FM platform is what all the rwd nissans share. Some chassis get sent down the line to be dressed up as altimas.. Some get sent over to the nismo plant and dressed up as sports cars with a vq or vr...

Also, in 20 years it will be nice to have as many matching numbers as possible when a concourse judge takes a long gander at it. lol

The VR38 and the VQ37VHR are not the same block. They are way different. The VQ oil pump is ran on the crank. The VR38 oil pump is ran via a chain on the crank. Totally different. The VR38 block is closed deck with 13mm head studs. The VQ is open deck with 12mm head studs. The engines are totally different. Can't leave off the drive shaft running through the factory oil pain of the VR38. VR38's are taller also.
Spooler is offline   Reply With Quote