View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
rclarkbow
Base Member

Drives: '12 370Z Touring 6MT
rclarkbow is on a distinguished road
Default Wider, lower profile tires on stock 18" base rims

Hi guys,

I've been doing a lot of research about upgrading my tires.

Stock 18" base wheels

I am part of an auto cross club and also do track days, but also drive the car on the street occasionally in the summer only (no longer a daily).

My general g-max RS tires have worn down so it's time to replace tires. I'm hoping I can get away without buying new wheels just yet.

Nearly everyone who is competitive in my club is running the Falken RT-660s extreme summer

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/falken-azenis-rt660

Based on sizes, it looks like the only setup that will work will be the following:

Front: 245/40 18
Rear: 275/35 18

I realize this gives me a smaller tire diameter and will gear it down, but these tires aren't available in 245/45 and 275/40 (which I've seen others run on stock rims on here so I'm not concerned about the width fitting the wheels). The diameter of the front wheels and tires will be slightly larger than the rear, as it is on all stock 370z models (base and sport).

Will these lower profile tires work / perform well?

I know the speedo will be off, shift points, gearing down slightly etc. but will they perform all right? My heart is kind of set on these tires as everyone runs them and I feel like it might even be beneficial to use lower profile for performance.

Additionally they really don't make extreme performance summer tires available in the 245/45 18 / 275/40 18 setup or I'd probably just go with that...so asking if the painted on Falken option will work well. If anyone has any better ideas please let me know!

Thanks
rclarkbow is offline   Reply With Quote