View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
shadow85
Track Member

Drives: 15' 370Z A/T AMM TT
shadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond reputeshadow85 has a reputation beyond repute

OK so with some more input and user reviews from various sources, I have narrowed it down to either the

1. ZF8 swap, or
2. VR30 built trans swap.

Reason for my choice,
Lots of the people who have experienced both the BMW DCT and ZF8, a majority of them concluded that the shift speed between the ZF8 and the DCT is almost negligible. The ZF8 is preferable because has smoother delivery, and easier to maintain and build. And doing the wiring for a ZF8 swap is apparently far easier than doing wiring for a DCT swap, the latter requiring alot more work according to DomiWorks, who do these swaps on a regular basis. They also stated, that wrong calibration on the ZF8 is far more forgiving, because the TQ converter can take abuse and they are cheap to replace. They said that wrong calibration on a DCT will quickly fry clutches and they are very expensive to repair.

But, I have also been looking into the VR30 Transmissions and actually pretty impressed with what they can offer to, as 'phunk' pointed out, it would also be less of a head ache for me to switch too aswell compared to a ZF8 swap.
shadow85 is offline   Reply With Quote