View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wayne'sWorld
Base Member

Drives: '16 Nismo
Wayne'sWorld is on a distinguished road
Default Noise in neutral? Whole new transmission

So I only drove my 370 twice this spring. I noticed a whining noise when it was in neutral and the clutch was out. Figured it was the throw out bearing. So I took it to the local dealership and asked them to replace the bearing.

A week later they called me and asked how I had been driving it? The reason being that there were burn marks on the fly wheel. The mechanic sent me a picture and said he recommended replacing the clutch and fly wheel. I told him to go ahead.

A week later I get a call and he tells me that he replaced the bearing, fly wheel, and clutch and it is still making noise in neutral. He said he consulted with Nissan and they recommended replacing the whole transmission. I told him if that was the case, I wanted to put a better fly wheel and clutch in it. Like, build it up so I could really hot rod the thing. He told me that they wouldn't do that kind of work. So I said, "I'll find someone who will"

Then the parts and maintenance manager called me. He said that he was going to contact Nissan and tell them about my situation. It is important to note that my car has 50,000 miles and the warranty expired last year. He called me two days later and said that Nissan had agreed to warranty my transmission and would fully replace it, paid 80%/20%.

So... I just picked up my Z. The new transmission cost me $700. But the parts and labor that were needed to get to the point where they said they would replace the transmission cost me $4200.

So that's my story. I'm happy that Nissan took care of me and replaced my transmission. I'm not happy about paying nearly $5000 but I got my 370Z back.
Wayne'sWorld is offline   Reply With Quote