View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #390 (permalink)
DLSTR
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 21Supra 2.0/22 M240i
DLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond reputeDLSTR has a reputation beyond repute

Bounce! Sounds like its going to be not so fun if teams continue to fail to address porpoise issues for 4 more years !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61763315

Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton a 'bit sore' as Mercedes bounces in practice
_

By Andrew BensonChief F1 writer
Last updated on

1 hour ago1 hour ago.From the section Formula 1

The Azerbaijan Grand Prix is live on 5 Live and the BBC Sport website
Lewis Hamilton was left "a bit sore" after his Mercedes struggled with bouncing on the straights in Friday practice at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

"I'll get by," he said after ending the day 12th fastest. "We're hitting some serious speeds at the end of the straight and it's bouncing a lot."

Team-mate George Russell said the new rules needed to be re-thought.

"I don't think it's right to run like this for the next four years or whatever we've got," Russell said.

"Conversations are going to be needed because everybody is in the same boat."

Bouncing on the straights - caused by a disruption to the car's underbody airflow - has affected most teams to some degree this year following the introduction of new rules aimed at closing up the field and making overtaking easier.

These have changed the way the cars' aerodynamics work and led to the bouncing problem, with which Mercedes are struggling more than most.

The world champions hoped they had got on top of it with some changes made for the Spanish Grand Prix two races ago but it has returned on Baku's long pit straight this weekend, which features a series of kinks taken flat out.

Russell, a director of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, said: "Now the car is running so close to the ground, it's crazy through those high-speed corners.

"The car is fully bottoming out and I think it's the same for everybody and it's really not comfortable to drive. I don't know what the future holds for this era of cars but I can't see us being able to [continue like this]."

Both Ferraris also appeared to be struggling with bouncing on the straights.

No other driver complained to the same extent as the Mercedes pair, although Ferrari's Carlos Sainz admitted he, too, was struggling with the problem, which is also known as "porpoising".

Sainz said: "It is certainly something I am looking into because for some reason today I struggled a lot with this phenomenon which hasn't been there the last few races and it looked particularly bad on my side of the garage.

"It's something I need to dig into with the engineers. It was taking out a bit of confidence on the straights and the braking."

F1 managing director Ross Brawn - who was central to the introduction of the new rules, which have changed the way the aerodynamics of the cars work this year with the aim of closing up the field and making overtaking easier - has previously dismissed similar comments by Russell, saying he was only really interested in the thoughts of drivers at the front of the field.
DLSTR is offline   Reply With Quote