View Single Post
Old 06-05-2022, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rodd
Base Member

Drives: 12 370Z R’ster Red M
Rodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond repute

Long post but I thought I put this out here for other as well.
My best advice is to do what I have done, and many others I assume is to read through all the posts here on roof issues.
I believe there are 3 areas of concern, 2 common ones with fixes available, one not so common but quite fatal.

1. I would say the most common one is the 5th bow bungees cords that help the roof open up become stretched/soft over the years as they are in constant tension when the roof is up. The issue is that over time the back frame of the roof starts to clip/hit against the deck lid as it rises. My 2012 now does this. At the moment I open roof by standing outside and open the roof by holding down the small silver button near door handle. As the deck lid rises I gently pull the back of the top forward an inch or 2 while the lip clears, no problem.
There is now a permeant fix though and that is to install the new improved Nissan 5th bow bungee kit via their service bulletin. Read through the posts and you will learn about this. The new kits now has extra springs for strength. A few people have already replaced theirs with excellent results. Would recommend a roof/convertible shop install as it’s quite a detailed task. I have just ordered mine and will have them installed shortly.
With you being under warranty I guess you would hold off on doing this.

2. Pinched wires. This can be a real headache but a very simply fix in nearly all cases with some knowledge. Another common problem especially when a top fails to open or stops half way, but can be easily fixed, costing nothing or $100 at an auto electrician. If you watch the deck lid raise and lower you will see the wire/hyd line bundle bend through 90 degrees just below the bracket that they are held in that is attached to the deck lid hinge /arm on the drivers side. Look through posts to see the pictures.
My wires pinched exactly at the location expected. Took wire bundle out of the housing, removed outer sheath and saw the break, two wires. Simply re-joined, fixed.

EVERY Roadster owner here be aware of this problem, and my best advice as preventive maintenance would to take those wires out the housing immediately before they brake/pinch. Let them hang naturally so they are not tightly held in place and cant bend 90 degrees-yes this is a design flaw. You can use some zip ties to LIGHTLY hold against bracket.

3 Last issue but much less common is a roof bracket actually breaks and is difficult to replace. Can’t buy part from Nissan so you would need to chase part from a wreckers. There have been a few broken ones reported here. I am hoping it was just an initial problem with the installation on some models.

Other than that you can lube all hinge points, protect roof material with fabric protection etc.

Also have a look at all the youtube videos from ‘top hydraulics’ on the 370Z-very helpful, almost essential I think if you want to maintain and have your Roadster for a long time like I do.

Long live the Roadster

Last edited by Rodd; 07-17-2022 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Rodd is offline   Reply With Quote