View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 06:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Nvlitedude
Base Member

Drives: 15 370Z Sport Tech
Nvlitedude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained_Z View Post
*Youtube link to ticking video below*

Hello all, I've had my '09 370z 7AT for 9 months now with minimal issues until I thought I noticed a small tick when I pulled in the driveway the other day. I put the car in park and revved it a bit and didn't hear anything so I figured it was nothing. The next day I started the car and there was a very loud ticking sound coming from the engine bay (I've always had the classic slight z valve tick sound and this is way louder and only on the passenger side). I popped the hood and listened and the ticking is coming from somewhere right around the throttle body/valve cover on the passenger side, definitely not deep in the engine. After the car went out of "start up/choke mode" and the rpms dropped from 1500 or so to the standard 700, the ticking went away. That is until I started driving and the tick sound came back loudly, increasing and decreasing in sync with the rpms. I returned home and parked the car and the ticking went away again even with revs. When I started it again this morning to take the attached video the tick was loud as ever. I'm due for an oil change, (almost 6k miles with full synthetic), but the oil level is right where it should be and does not look too dirty. This is a sudden occurring problem, not a slow onset one. I definitely drive my car "with spirit" but nothing too excessive. Attached is a video of the ticking sound right after start up. You can hear at the end I rev the car and it seems to go away and then returns after. Only other thing I can think to mention is that the trans has been slipping a bit only on 4th-5th under hard acceleration. I heard this is a fairly common issue with the 7AT 370z when the fluid gets burnt out. I have new fluid, just haven't gotten around to changing it yet. With that being said, I don't believe the 2 issues are related, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Note* I had issues attaching the video, I instead posted it on Youtube, here is the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/RCvkfT5XJhs

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
~Evan
It sounds like a collapsed lifter. I would try Lucas low viscosity oil stabilizer. Back in the day we would substitute a quart of Rislone or AT fluid with an oil change. The idea is to get the collapsed lifter clean so it will pump up. Do NOT run this very long or hard! 500 miles maybe. Follow the additive manufacture’s instructions. I have had great luck with Lucas products. Nvlitedude
Nvlitedude is offline   Reply With Quote