View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
SonicVQ
Base Member

Drives: G37 Sport
SonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond reputeSonicVQ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averying View Post
Changed out the Mobil 1 5w-30 for Redline 5w-30. Also changed from a larger filter (what you’d use on a Nissan v8) to OEM size Fram oil filter. Oil pressure at 180° used to be ~35 psi but now I’m seeing 40-45psi.
FYI, my pressure sensor is located pre oil cooler AND pre oil filter.
You may want to move your pressure gauge to the 1/8 BSP port on the engine block.

The engine oil pressure inside the engine = 35psi - (oil cooler & lines pressure drop) - (oil filter pressure drop)

If my engine is "normal" it seems like your oil pump needs an extra 10-15 psi to push the oil through your oil cooler and filter @ 180F

With that in mind, if your actual engine oil pressure is 10 psi due to a failing galley gasket, your gauge might show 20-25 PSI, which hides the problem and may result in a spun bearing / new engine... and no one wants that!
SonicVQ is offline   Reply With Quote