View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jrah2987
Base Member

Drives: 370z
Jrah2987 is on a distinguished road
Default Barn Find 370z Build Journal

About 7 weeks ago I took delivery of a 2009 370z Touring I found in Kentucky with only 82XX miles on it. The car is literally spotless, with the only issues coming from it sitting for so long (cracked tires, crusty hoses, etc.)

The goal of this build will be to make a well rounded N/A car, while primarily focusing on handling and weight loss, for occasional track days, without making the car unenjoyable on the street. I don't want any crazy power, as I'll be using this reliable platform to help me grow as a driver.

I'll be using this thread to document any/all work I do as a reference for later, since I have a bad habit of not documenting maintenance or mods I do.

First thing I wanted to do was start replacing all the fluids. I'm not sure if they have ever been changed, but I wanted to run the same fluids I've had success with in my Evo:

Feb. 16th, 2022:

I had to take care of 1 thing that was really bothering me before the fluids:

Much better.

Feb. 27th, 2022:

I also went ahead and started transferring a set of Sparco Fighters I had in my Evo over to the Z. I'll be waiting another 2 months for a Bride seat bracket to come in before I can move the driver's seat out of the Evo:

Once that was in, I drained the rear diff, which went smoothly:

Mar 1st, 2022

I then moved on to the coolant, using the OEM Nissan stuff. I also noticed the radiator hoses were a bit crusty, so I swapped them with Z1's silicon. I may do the heater hoses at a later time, but this is fine for now:

Mar 20, 2022

I then moved onto the trans fluid. This went smoothly as well, however I'm going to try and remember to buy an extra bottle of fluid for next time just to make sure it's completely filled:

Apr 5th, 2022

I then wanted to change whatever oil the dealer put in there with some AMSoil. I wanted to go ahead and get 2 birds stoned at once, so I ordered and installed a 25 row Setrab oil cooler from Z1 as well. Install was straightforward, however connecting the lines to the sandwich plate was a bit of a pain:

The only things I did extra, was removed a couple connectors behind the front bumper that was making contact with the lines and zip tied them out of the way, and ran the plastic covering to try and prevent it from damaging the lines. We'll see if it helped.

I also found a few reminders of how long the car had been sitting:

Current project

My next focus is a Nismo bumper conversion from Z1:

I wanted to pick these up now while the prices are still reasonable. I'm expecting the prices to jump once supply starts to run out.

I also have been waiting on a Greddy cat-back exhaust for a few months, which should hopefully be here in a few weeks. The weight savings on this alone make it worth it for me.

That's it for now; I will update when I have more work done. If you have any questions or comments, just let me know.

Last edited by Jrah2987; 04-19-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Jrah2987 is offline   Reply With Quote