View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 10:06 PM   #147 (permalink)
BettyZ
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: A Garage Queen
BettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond reputeBettyZ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgunZ View Post
My scavenge pump stopped working in the first 500 miles so I disagree on the oil fed turbos. Guess what happens when you tie a turbo to the oil pan and that happens? Blown turbo, oil in intake and oil in exhaust, contaminated oil system, oil cooler, engine, etc. This was possibly install error as I popped a fuse in the pump line but it happened and it was a big job. If an oiless turbo has a problem then you have a minor problem. Ill take that over oil lines every day. Been there done that.
Everyone vocalizes their experience when they aren't happy but few chime in when they are satisfied. That's why Amazon pays people to actually reply with something positive.

Perhaps I'm biased since I have been on my 6.2L F150 Comp oiless for over 35k miles and it still rips around like day one and I abuse the turbo on many accounts. I tow a camper in the summer and an ice castle in the winters. I tend to plant the throttle for sub par reasons to put a smile on my face more than I should. I don't even oil it as often as i should because I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade but it just keeps living. Perhaps it's because it's a water cooled turbo vs pure oiless but I'm going to an air cooled if it ever $hitz the bed on me.
Gonna have to disagree with you on that one buddy. There are always naysayers but the people who are invested in the forum and the 370Z do a pretty good job repping what is good as well as calling out what is not good. I totally understand how as a supplier you focus on the bad reviews as that has a negative business effect.

But those chiming in about the sweaty dumpster fire that is COMP turbo are those invested people I just mentioned. As an example, we pulled apart my busted (after 882 miles) COMP turbo at a Z meetup.

The gents who did so were physically present when humans first figured out that fire could make steam, and that it was good.

They determined that COMP forgot to grease the turbo before shipping it. That is an example of their shoddy manufacturing that should rightfully be called out.

As for the oil lines for the TC, first thing I and others (not gonna name names without their permission) did when replacing our busted COMPs was add filters to the oil lines to and from the turbo. Solves that metal fragment issue nicely.