View Single Post
Old 02-23-2022, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Txernyuk
Base Member

Drives: 2015 370Z Sport
Txernyuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
I live in the south, I don't have any issues. As far as the SPL, Both. The alignment is also much easier.
If you don't disassemble the stack, you wont see where most of the corrosion is developing; in the mating surfaces of the threads. This happens because the tight spacing between bolt and nut threads compromises the Zinc or Chrome-over-Zinc coating. The corrosion susceptibility in this area is compounded by it's propensity to draw in water via capillary action, bringing with it dissolved contaminates. Living in the south has little bearing on this effect; while I agree with your likely presumption of less road salts, the south sill has thousands of miles of coastline where salt spray travels quite a distance from the water and coats every surface. Apart from that, unless you live in a desert, it still rains; this draws in dissolved conductive and corrosive contaminates.

If you're still unconvinced, please reference this comprehensive test (link) conducted by the Army Research Laboratory about the Corrosion Behavior of Sacrificial Coatings on Grade 10.9 Fasteners. You'll also see that the effect starts in the mated threads.

This post is not seeking opinions on whether current market kits are acceptable. I have peer-reviewed scientific results for that (link). If current kits are good enough for you, please move on and enjoy your kit. This post is aims to find like minded owners who seek better for their vehicles.

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA585883.pdf
If the link doesn't work or results in unfound document, search for document number ADA585883 in a search engine.
Txernyuk is offline   Reply With Quote