View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 09:35 AM   #6095 (permalink)
Ghostvette
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 Magma Red 6MT
Ghostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond reputeGhostvette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABAM View Post
Indeed. All the ignorant preppers that think HAM (voice and data) is the way to go have no idea what modern surveillance and counter measures can do. Hell with a computer, SDR dongle and few antennas you can monitor a lot if not all of the VLF-UHF bands. You don’t have to spend much too. HAM is great for disasters where cellular and land lines are down or for when you are really in the middle of no where but if things go sideways I’d stay off of the HAM freqs.
That's what the Marine Corps Radio Battalions do, monitor the air waves. I know the NSA is collecting cellphone transmissions and text messages, along with monitoring email traffic. Remember when the cell phone companies were making a big deal about voice traffic being 'encrypted'? It is, but the NSA has access to the keys to unlock the code. While cellular voice traffic is 'encrypted', SMS messages are sent in the clear.

At the unit I was stationed at in Hawaii, we had a device that would monitor the entire RF spectrum, so we could determine what was the best usuable frequency on any given day. We soon discovered we could listen in on the older wireless phones; at that time, the 900MHz frequency phones weren't widely available. It became a source of entertainment during lunch time and after work, we had a good idea who was screwing whom, when and where they were doing it...