View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
dalparadise
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2010 Z Roadster T/S
dalparadise is on a distinguished road

I once had a Toyota with a defective carburetor. A TSB had been issued and although I had free oil changes at the dealership and took my car there for service every couple of months, no one ever said a word about this defect.

Over time, the engine became choked with carbon deposits. My engine ultimately needed rebuilding. The estimate to fix the problem and everything that had been damaged over the life of the car was close to $3000. The car was out of its factory warranty and my dealer's official position was that this did not fall under my extended warranty coverage, because it was essential "wear-related," meaning the car was just getting old.

My personal mechanic researched the problem, found the old TSB and put my car back together, telling me to force Toyota to fix it and arming me with the TSB. I called Toyota corporate and actually told them, "I'm not loving what you do for me" and they finally came around.

They fixed the car and even did some extra suspension work that needed to be addressed, all for a $50 out of pocket charge, I believe.

So, I count myself ahead of this game overall.

I buy the extended warranty and feel pretty good about the purchase. I've used my coverage one other time and received services equaling more than the cost of the warranty.

Remember:

the price is negotiable. The level of coverage is also customizable. If you sell the car before the warranty expires, you can apply for a refund of the unused portion.

On the Z, I got a 5 year/75000 mile warranty (pretty much how long I keep my cars) for $1000. I agree the Z probably won't require $1000 in repairs in that time. However, the peace of mind and the ability to manage against a big financial hit down the road seem worth it for that price.