View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #146 (permalink)
Rodd
Base Member

Drives: 12 370Z R’ster Red M
Rodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond reputeRodd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachsideJill View Post
I just want to thank everyone who posted on this topic. Our 2016 370z soft top has had a couple of issues. After researching and reading all these posts we have found our issues. I've installed the 5th bow kit and now just this weekend found the broken wires. all is good now. I also bought a Mucar DTC reader. It read all the cars modules and provided me with exact fault codes for my cars top. I highly recommend it for it was only $50, and it works from my iPhone. Also want to thank the individual who led me to the manual. It was for a 2009 but it seems the top has not changed on my 2016.
Totally agree Jill, this forum is brilliant for identifying problems and getting your car fixed without wasting time and money at Nissan etc, esp when it comes to our roofs as unfortunately, they don’t understand them very well, don’t sell parts for them so for any issue they simply quote you a new roof for $15k or some ridiculous price. The forum has helped me many times so I always try and post any usual/helpful info that I come across and of course encourage everyone else to continuing doing so.
It would appear that about 90% all top not working issues are those damn wires held in by that plastic housing that's attached to the deck lid arm. I was aware of the problem when my top stopped half way when opening just before Christmas. I went straight to wires where they bend 90 deg below the bracket and sure enough had the pinched wires. I ended up replacing about 6 inchs of all the wires as while only two were broken they all were very hard and brittle due to the constant bending.
The other good tip is to not put them back into the black plastic housing as the issue will just happen all over again. I just attached mine quit loosely to the arm with Panduit/cable straps.That way they can just move freely, kind of fall naturally and not kink. I even left the hyd lines out a swell as these can also wear due to their very thin walls. Tophydraulics can sell better quality ones if required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My broken wires .jpg (448.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg My wires fixed.jpg (609.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Rodd; 01-04-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Rodd is offline   Reply With Quote